Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tree Trimming Tuesday

Greetings Everyone!
Here we are, another week closer to the holidays.
Can you believe it?

I thought I would show you something that I created
for my holiday decorating.
I made an ornament for my Christmas tree. 
One that would have special meaning to me.
I chose to use "Belles Carols" for this ornament,
partly because of my own musical background,
and the other part, because she represents my being
chosen to be part of this awesome design team this year.
I truly am blessed to be a part of such a wonderful team.

I took a couple of pictures, so that you could see more detail.
But before I show you, I thought I'd dress up my
display a little, so that my ornament gets to be shown
in it's proper surroundings. LOL

I bought one of those cheap little office style Christmas trees
and then made tiny ornaments to decorate it with.
It would have been nice to have mini lights, but I couldn't
find any at the time, so we'll have to deal with just the little ornaments.
Do you recognize anyone on these little ornaments?


The mini ornaments were simply punched with
some circle and scallop punches, nothing fancy,
but I thought it would be a nicer way to show off
the actual ornament that I made.

Here is a closer view

I can tell you, I once saw a picture of a card made to look
like an open book, and I've never forgotten it.
I just had to sit down and figure out just how to make
something like that.  I started to doodle on paper, making a pattern,
and finally I came up with a book shape that would work.
BUT....
How on earth would I get the layers,
and the bowed or arched effect that I wanted?
So my mind whirled and whirled,
and I ended up creating 3 different book templates,
and layered 2 of the larger ones, using the 3rd one for a decoration.

For the base of this book ornament, I used a piece of scrap
lightweight cardboard.  Actually, I think it was the
backing from a paper stack.
I inked it, then embossed it in green. 
This made it even more firm, as well as added a nice gloss finish.

Next I added my 2nd book shape, and decorated that.
Once that was done, I added my colored image.
I used some chalks to blend the white parts of the paper
with the paper that was behind her, so that the edges of the
white cardstock didn't stick out like a sore thumb!

Some glitter and some ribbon were added,
and then my smallest book, which I hand stitched the edges in gold
for a more defined look.
In order to get the arch that I wanted, I used a lot of
silicone glue and some pop dots.  It worked perfectly!

I used a punched flower and trimmed the flower petals, in order
to get the pointed petals like a poinsettia flower. 
Little jingle bells were added, as the finishing touch.

Here is another view



Once everything was exactly the way I wanted it,
I coated both the front and back, as well as all the
ribbons and details with Modge Podge.
This added yet another thing to help this book ornament
keep it's form. I love the stiffness and the high gloss that
the modge podge provides. 
Even my ribbons are hardened, to keep their shape!

I appologize for the long post, but you know, I just HAD to tell
all about my new Christmas ornament. 
I can't wait until I can put it on my Christmas tree this year!





REMEMBER to make sure you mark your calendars for Nov. 23rd.
Belles 'n Whistles will be having another Blog Hop
We'll be showing off the new releases for December.
I promise that you are going to love them!



8 comments:

  1. wow what stunning creations Lynda...so beautiful
    Mina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project!!! love the cutesy ornaments!!! hugs, Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda, this is such a beautiful ornament and I totally love the idea of surrinding Belle with all her friends on tiny ornaments as well. So cute!
    Big hugs,
    Kathrin aka Kruemel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a gorgeous keepsake, love the image used and the colours work beautifully. Love it.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is WONDERFUL Lynda!!!!!!! Such a cute idea with all the little ornaments! Beautifully colored and great idea with the open book ornament!

    Hugs,
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Lynda this is just impressive!! I love all the wonderful ornaments you created!!
    Just so cute!!
    Hugs
    Jodi =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wholy cow Lynda! A Belles 'n Whistles Christmas Tree...I LOVE it! =) The ornaments are sooo cute and I especially love all the detail you put into the Book ornament...FABULOUS!! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous work Lynda!!! The ornaments are just too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete