Sunday, December 20, 2009

Day 20 - Happy 4th Advent!


It's getting closer!!! Happy 4th Advent all!
It's time to light the fourth candle on the Advent wreath. Are you familiar with that custom? No? Well than let me explain it a little as this is another tradition in my home country, Germany.




The Advent wreath was invented 1839 by Johann Hinrich Wichern a protestant theologian. He was taking care of several very poor children as their custodian and they lived in an old farmhouse. During the Advent season the kids always asked him "How long is it until Christmas?" So he had an idea. In the barn he found an old cartwheel and made a wooden wreath out of it. He put 18 small red and 4 large white candles on the wood wreath so the children could count the days til Christmas. They lit up a candle each day and a large one each Advent Sunday. From this wooden Advent wreath the present Advent wreath with 4 candles originated. And it is tradition to light another candle on each Advent Sunday until on the 4th all four candles are burning.

Usually the traditional Advent wreath is an evergreen wreath with 4 candles, ribbon bows and some decorations. Nowadays you'll also find Advent wreathes made from straw, wood, metall glass etc. And there are not always 4 candles on the wreath. It's also common to have just one large candle in the middle (see my photos) or 3 candles of different sizes. Even the shape can vary and then it is reffered to as an Advent arrangement, like a flower arrangement.




I hope you liked my little story of the Advent wreath. Did you already know about it?

Enough story telling now ;-) I have a card I like to show to you today as well. I made a snow globe card using the adorable image "Two Turtle Doves" from the second Belles 'n Whistles Christmas release. Still available at the Belles 'n Whistles store in limited quantities! The image is colored using Copics.





In the background I added 2 turtle doves which I cut out with my Cricut and added some glitter to it. I thought they are perfect to go with that cute image.




Are you ready for the chance of some more yummy goodies? Leave a comment here and you will be in the daily prize drawing for a goodie bag worth more than $25. Winners will be drawn daily and you can find the list of names in the sidebar.

Thanks for visiting our Advent Calender today and hope to see you tomorrow again at the opening of door 21!



22 comments:

  1. Gorgeous snowglobe, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my I used the snowglobe for shaker cards but I just love this idea - thank you so much for sharing it.

    Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic snow globe card. It is so nice to hear the story behind these Advent traditions. Thanks for sharing it with us.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. i lovge learning of other traditions and their origins and i love the snow globe what a clever idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your card is absolutely gorgeous. Great idea with the doves.

    Hugs Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh what beautiful Iris,i love your image and colours.

    Hugs Riet.xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a bird lover I think this project is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Iris! I LOVE the snowglobe card! Gorgeous colors and coloring! Thanks for sharing another German advent tradition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous creations Iris,Thanx for sharing the Christmas story with us.
    Trish (-:

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing the origins of the Advent wreath; it's so fun learning the history behind the tradition!

    Beautiful snowglobe card; your colors are so soft and your coloring technique is superb!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing about the advent wreath with us. Your card is just beautiful I love the colors and the snowglobe. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so pretty Iris!! I love the colors and she is so sweet! All your details are beautiful as well!!
    Every advent season we also light four candles for each week. It is our tradition (Catholic) to have 3 purple and one pink in a wreath of fresh pine needles!
    Thanks for sharing that with us! I love hearing about different traditions!
    :)kathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, what a gorgeous card, and the colors are so soft and pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Iris that is absolutely AMAZING! What a great creation!
    Hugs~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just beautiful. I collect snowglobes, and this is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful snowglobe and I just love the image and the soft colours you used for it.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, beautiful snowglobe creation Iris!!!
    Thanks and blessings
    Mary lou

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your snowglobe card it's beautiful.
    Happy crafting
    Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful story and no I didn't know that story. I also love the snowglobe, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a stunning card, you are so inspirational!. I must try to make a snowglobe card in time for next christmas. I love your story about the advant candle, we burn a candle here too, except ours is one tall thin one with number down it and we burn it every day to the corresponding date. Anita.xx

    ReplyDelete