Saturday, December 11, 2010

Advent Calendar Day 11 - Sharing a recipe!


 
Hello everyone and welcome to Day 11 of our Advent Calendar! Hmmmm do you like baking cookies for Christmas?  I love to bake cookies and all different kind of goodies, especially during the Advent season. One of my favorite things to bake is gingerbread. Me being originally from Germany, strictly speaking Bavaria, the beautiful city of Nuremberg, I'm specially associated with gingerbread of course. 

Nuremberg (an old emperor city,  historically first mentioned at 1050 A.D.) has a long gingerbread tradition. In the 14th century gingerbread is already well known in and about Nuremberg and was made back then by monks. It was favored because of its long shelf life and was sahred by the monks during hard times.

Since 1927 the name Nuernberger Lebkuchen / Nuremberg Gingerbread is a registered trademark. Nuremberg Gingerbread is the most famous gingerbread and only manufacturer within the city limits of Nuremberg are allowed to call their gingerbread "Nuernberger Lebkuchen" / "Nuremberg Gingerbread".

But of course there are also lots and lots of recipes for Nuremberg Gingerbread and also family recipes which are passed on from Mom to daughter etc. I too have my own recipes which I like to make every year.  Today I like to share one with you.  But before I come to the recipe I like to show you the little gift bags I made  for my gingerbread.


I used part of the  'Gingerbread Love'  image and did not color it this time. I just embossed it using gold embossing powder. DP is from Basic Grey's Wassail collection. Added a bow decorated with a snowflake and poinsettia flower and ready was my gift bag. 

Here's a close-up of the image:



Ok and here is the recipe for my homemade gingerbread. And another quality characterisitc in Nuremeberg Gingerbread is to use no flour or as less as possible.  The lesser the better.
 
Nuremberg Gingerbread
(Nuernberger Lebkuchen)

This is a quick version of the Nuremberg Gingerbread without any resting or drying times. 

Ingredients:

2 eggs,
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch mace
1/4 tsp almond extract
 200g / 7oz ground almonds
50g / 1.5 oz chopped almonds
 100g / 3 oz finely chopped candied citron
Oblaten 70 mm / about 3inch
(Oblaten are very thin wafers, some what similar to rice paper, also called communion wafer)


Beat eggs and sugar until frothy; add spices and extract and mix until blended.
Fold in finely diced citron and almonds. Spread onto 'Oblaten' about 1.5 - 2cm thick.
Bake at 175 C / 350 F for 15-20 min. Depending on your oven baking times may vary.
If desired cover with chocolate or sugar icing and decorate with almonds.
Makes approx. 12 gingerbreads

Enjoy! :-)

I also like to remind you of our Ornament Contest.You can read all about it HERE.  Don't be shy ;-) and show us your beautiful ornaments made using a Belles 'n Whistles stamp! This is not a random draw, the Belles 'n Whistles DT will judge the contest and pick the winners! Grand Prize is a $ 25 gift certificate!!!!!!!

Last but not least here is yesterday's randomly drawn winner:

Rhonda Miller who said...
I think Honolulu, HI. The first thing we do Christmas morning is gather as a family on mom and dad's bed and say a prayer of thanks for all our blessings. We like to do that before the distraction of gifts.
 
Please contact Summer with your shipping information at
summer(at)bellesnwhistlesstamps(dot)com 
to receive your surprise package!
To get entered in our daily drawing just leave a comment here on this posting!
Thanks all for stopping by today and playing in our 'Advent Calendar'!
Have a wonderful Saturday!

Hugs,
Iris

32 comments:

  1. Liebe Iris!
    Hab vielen Dank für deine interessanten Informationen über die Nürnberger Lebkuchen und natürlich auch für dein Rezept!
    Herzliche Grüsse aus der Schweiz,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm..... I do also love gingerbread but my favourites at X-Mas time are "Bethmännchen" (with marzipan and almonds) - Yummie!!!
    Hugs from Germany! bibi

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi sweetie
    your cookies look yummie for my tummie
    love the image you've used
    congrats to yesterdays winner
    thanks for this chance sweetie
    hugs angelique

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh those cookies look so yummy and your packaging is perfect for them. Love how the image looks just embossed and not coloured.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute little gift bag. Homebaked gingerbread cookies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful recipe! Thank you for sharing. And your bag topper is so pretty.
    *smiles*
    debbi

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow what a yummy creation. I will have to try these. look yummy.
    x laura x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the recipe. I was just telling my family last night that we need to bake some gingerbread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome recipe thankyou i will have to get a batch of these yummies on the go thankyou for sharing and i think you couldn't have used a better image and it makes a nice change to see them embossed instead of stamped and coloured it looks great xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I'm so excited to se I won. Thank you so much. Woohoo!

    Thank you for sharing this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous gift bag, Iris and thanks for sharing the recipe. I've never made gingerbread cookies, but I think I'm going to try to make some this year, I could use this recipe, too. :)

    hugs, Vanja

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the yummy recipe and your gift bag is lovely! Love the embossing and your embellishments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huhu Iris,
    da läuft einem gleich das Wasser im Mund zusammen.
    Danke für das Rezept und die Verpackungen sind super süß :-)
    XX Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hallo Iris!

    Danke für das tolle Rezept! Das werde ich vor Weihnachten noch ausprobieren ;-)

    LG Sebrina

    ReplyDelete
  15. The place from where I am have this as a speciality as well, known as 'Luzerner Lebkuchen'. I love it, but only when it is fresh from the oven. I don't lake the ones from the supermarkets who are called 'Lebkuchen' as well. But they taste sooooo different.
    Hugs from Karina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the recipe! Since I haven't started my baking yet I'm going to try this one this year. They look so yummy! Love the bag topper too. I have a wonderful recipe for German Rich cookies from my grandmother who came from Germany. Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year! "Hugs" Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would so be using scissors to cut the decorated top off, just so it didn't get damaged when I tried to tear into that bag. It's gorgeous! I don't really cook or bake, but I do enjoy the goodies that others send me at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your treat bag is just gorgeous, and those cookies look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks for sharing what a wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cookies look delish! And love how you embossed the image! Thanks for a chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  21. mmmmm...the cookies look yummy! What a gorgeous treat bag topper! Pretty embellishments! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful gift bag! I love the idea of embossing your image. During these hectic times, it's hard to find the time to color so this is the perfect alternative, thanks for the inspiration! TFS your recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Iris Love the gift treat bags you made~~Simple but SWEET!!!!
    Thanks also for the delish recipe:)
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those cookies look fabulous and lovely packaging.
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those cookies look fabulous and your goody bag is too cute. Thank you for the recipe...I am going to try this recipe when I do my cookies next week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cookies do look yummy but the packaging makes the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I bought a box of gingerbread cookies yesterday and I won't tell just how many have been eaten from the box. Thanks for sharing a favorite recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great project! Thanks for the recipe. It sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those look yummmmalicious Iris! I think I'm going to have to try making some now! Thanks for sharing the recipe hun! And thanks for the chance to win such a lovely stamp...I sooooo love this one!
    Hugs~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ohh these look so good :) and that stamp is so cute.. ;) great job , thank you for sharing the recipe. :)

    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  31. These cookies do look good. Thanks for the recipe. Love this stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely gift bag, Iris.
    Time ran away again this year and I didn't get to make any Lebkuchen. My recipe asks for them to rest for a few weeks. I need to try your recipe but don't have any wafers. I need to see if the German online store in Texas has some.
    Ich wuensche Dir und Deinen einen besinnlichen Advent.

    ReplyDelete