Monday, December 20, 2010

Opening Door 20 - Cracked Glass Technique Tutorial


Happy Monday! I hope you all had a great 4th Advent weekend and hopefully could finish all your Christmas shopping. Just a few days left now ;-)

Today I like to show you how to create a cracked glass look on your images and put together a little tutorial. I really like the antique look this technique gives to the stamped image. Lets get started.....


Cracked Glass Technique Tutorial


Here is a list of the item's you'll need:

* stamped image, colored if desired
* ultra thick embossing powder (UTEE), clear
* embossing ink pad e.g. VersaMark, Perfect Medium or other
* heat tool / embossing tool
* dye ink of your choice to highlight cracks

 Step 1:
 Using your embossing ink pad cover your image thoroughly
with ink. I used Ranger perfect medium but every other
embossing pad will do the trick as well!

 This is how your image should look after applying embossing ink.


Step 2:
 Now generously sprinkle on your UTEE and make sure that the whole
image is covered well. I prefer to store my UTEE in a plastic container
and use a spoon to apply the embossing powder. I think it is easier to apply
and with less mess ;-)

 Step 3:
 Now take your heat tool and start heating the image until all
the UTEE has melted. I like to use a rimmed lid of a paper box
for this part. This way the image can't be blown away and you
don't have to use your tweezers to hold it. Which is difficult
anyway as the whole image is covered with embossing powder.


This is how your image looks like after applying your first coat
of UTEE. It looks bumpy. Don't worry it is normal at this time.
Now repeat steps one through 3 at least another 3 times!
4 coats is a minimum, I prefer 5 coats of UTEE on my images.

Note: In some instructions it says apply the new coat of UTEE
directly to the hot image (without using a new coat of embossing ink)
but this didn't work for me. My images always cool down faster as
I can apply the new layer of UTEE and the embossing powder wont
stick to the image. So I always apply a new coat of embossing ink after
each completed step.


 And this is how your image looks after applying your
last layer if UTEE: even, glossy and shiny!


Step 4:
Now put your embossed image in your freezer for 20 minutes.
(I always put it in the freezer for 20 min. In my opinion everything less
wont crack as nice)
 
Your image will be slightly curled after being in the freezer (see above).
This is normal too. You will 'crack' it by flatten it out. Now come's the
fun part. Start bending the image to get your cracks. This way you
will also flatten the image again. And don't worry. If the cracks
appear where you don't want them just re-heat and cool again.


 Step 5:
This is the image after cracking the UTEE. You can see the cracks
are barely visible. Now it's time to 'ink' your cracks.

Use a dyeink pad (color of your choice) and a sponge. I used
Distress Ink, color 'Tea Dye' and a piece of Cut 'n Dry foam. 

 Work in the color with your foam pad and you can see the cracks appear.
Wipe off any excess ink with a paper towel.

And voila ~ you are done.
Your image is ready to be put onto your card or project!


And this is how my image looks on my card. I decided to use it for my DT card for our new challenge over at our BnW-Challenge Blog! Where the theme is 'Happy New Year' - come and join us!!!


I hope you liked this little tutorial and I could get you inspired to try this fun technique :-)

Now you are waiting for the announcement of yesterdays winner, don't you? ;-) Here it comes....last but not least yesterday's randomly drawn winner is:


 Congratulations Sandy!
Please contact Summer at: summer(at)bellesnwhistlesstamps(dot)com to claim your prize.
To enter our daily Advent Calendar prize drawings just leave a comment! Good luck!

 Thanks for visiting our Advent Calendar today and we hope to
see you tomorrow when Anki opens door 21 for you!


Hugs,

46 comments:

  1. Vielen Dank liebe Iris für dieses tolle Tutorial !!!
    Herzlichst,
    Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this clear tutorial....will give it a try when all christmas things are over and I'll have more time!
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danke für die super Anleitung.

    LG Sebrina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely have to give this one a try. Your tutorial is very clear and well written. TFS
    Hugs and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this is brilliant. never done this technique before but will be giving it ago soon.
    x laura x

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh Iris ich liebe ja diese Technik... und du hast es wundervoll beschrieben - danke nun weiss ich wenigstens wohin ich verweisen kann!!!
    LG und frohes Fest
    hellerlittle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, this is something i've wanted to try for so long but I always forget to get the things I need for it!!!
    I'm going to have to remind myself, you make it look so easy and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous card & Tut TFS
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the card. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely card. Thanks for the tutorial for this technique. I'll have to give it a try after the holidays....

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely card.. thank you for sharing this awesome technique.. ;) LOVE the stamp! Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tutorial...I know a lot of work went into that...thank you. Love the image and your finished card. I've always loved the cracked glass technique...it's so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the great tutorial. I always wondered how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a wonderful turorial, Iris, thanks for sharing! And I love the result. :)
    hugs, Vanja

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great card and a fabulous tutorial. TFS
    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial! I will have to try that soon. Your card is gorgeous!
    *smiles*
    debbi

    ReplyDelete
  17. hallo, Iris

    das ist ja eine ganz tolle Technik! Gefällt mir sehr gut! Danke für die Anleitung!

    Wünsche dir ein frohes Weihnachtsfest!

    Liebe Grüße Regina

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is so pretty. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Iris what a gorgeous card hun and a lovely tutorial! thank you so very much for the step by step directions! :) And thanks to BnW for the chance to win!
    Hugs~ Kim

    ReplyDelete
  20. An interesting way to achieve the cracked look. I am going to try this technique out. Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your card is stunning Iris. I love the colours and the image you used. Thank you for the tutorial. I will definitely have to try it some day.
    Laetitia xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. das ist ja klasse, vielen Dank für das Tut
    lg gila

    ReplyDelete
  23. your card looks fab i might just have to try this very nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Die Karte ist wunderschön gestaltet.
    Und danke für die ausführliche Anleitung :)
    XX Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that's a lot of work, but it sure has a neat effect. That's pretty cool. Kind of vintage looking, too, which I really like! Thanks for sharing this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW!Thanks for the tutorial! What a fabulous card effect! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful tutorial Iris. Nothing left to the imagination. Fantastic job! "Hugs" Carol

    ReplyDelete
  28. great tutorail and a fabulous card x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Another beautiful card and thanks for a great tutorial too.
    Jenni x

    ReplyDelete
  30. great tutorial sweetie
    that's a gorgeous effect
    thanks for sharing
    and congrats on yesterdays winner
    hugs angelique

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hallo Iris,
    Danke für den tollen WS, sollte ich doch bald mal ausprobieren ;o)
    Und ein wunderschönes Kärtchen ist entstanden WOOW!!!!!!
    Liebe Grüße Manu

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for the fab tutorial. Your card is beautiful.
    Julie W x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great Tutorial ! Very easy to understand. Good Photos. The image is Cool! Very nice result! Thank you so much! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Definitely have to give this one a try. Your tutorial is very clear and well written. thanks for this clear tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [21 Dec 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks for the tutorial on this technique. I really like the idea of making ornaments that look aged.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wow Iris this is soooo cool and i love your card:)
    Great technique for this image!!
    Blessings of thanks

    ReplyDelete
  38. Gorgeous project, thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful card, Iris, love the cracked-glass look! TFS your wonderful tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful card and thanks for sharing how to do this technique.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wauw great tutorial. I ordered this weekend the several parts which I need to make this gorgeous look. So maybe today (yes!) I am able to make my first cracked-glass card. Thanks for your nice explanation.
    Hugs Ageeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh Iris would you believe I just saw the answer you left me on The Outlawz tonight from almost a year ago! I saw your card going by on the photo screen and clicked to see who did it! It's still as gorgeous to me as it was when you made it! Thank you for this awesome tutorial! Hugz, Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  43. I like this technique, Iris. It's looks soooo vintage. Awesome card and tutorial! You're so talented!!!

    Hugs,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete